1) Acceptable Use – The purpose of the backbone networks making up the Internet is to support research and education in and among academic institutions by providing access to unique resources and the opportunity for collaborative work. The use of your account must be in support of education and research and consistent with the educational objectives of Lively District Secondary School. Use of other organization’s network or computing resources must comply with the rules appropriate for that network. Transmission of any material in violation of any national or state regulation is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: copyrighted material, threatening or obscene material, or material protected by trade secret
2) Privileges – The use of the Internet is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in a cancellation of those privileges. (Each student or teacher who receives an account will be part of a discussion with a Lively District Secondary School staff member pertaining to the proper use of the network.) The system administrators will deem what is inappropriate use and their decision is final. Also, the system administrators may close an account at any time as required. The administration, faculty, and staff of Lively District Secondary School may request the system administrator to deny, revoke, or suspend specific user accounts.
3) Network Etiquette – You are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette. These include (but are not limited to the following:
- Be polite. Do not get abusive in your messages to others.
- Use appropriate language. Do not swear, use vulgarities or any other inappropriate language.
- Illegal activities are strictly forbidden.
- Do not reveal your personal address or phone numbers of students or colleagues.
- Note that electronic mail (e-mail) is not guaranteed to be private. People who operate the system do have access to all mail. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities may be reported to the authorities.
- Do not use the network in such a way that you would disrupt the use of the network by other users.
- All communications and information accessible via the network should be assumed to be private properly.
4) Lively District Secondary School makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the service it is providing. Lively District Secondary School will not be responsible for any damages you suffer. Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at your own risk. Lively District Secondary School specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its services.
5) Security – Security on any computer system is a high priority, especially when the system involves many users. If you feel you can identify a security problem on the Internet, you must notify an administrator or the Lively District Secondary School Internet Coordinator. Do not demonstrate the problem to other users. Do not use another individual’s account without written permission from that individual. Attempts to logon to the Internet as a system administrator will result in cancellation of user privileges. Any user identified as a security risk or having a history of problems with other computer systems may be denied access to Internet.
6) Vandalism – Vandalism will result in cancellation of privileges. Vandalism is defined as any malicious attempt to harm or destroy data of another user, Internet, or any of the above listed agencies or other networks that are connected to any of the Internet backbones. This includes, but not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses. Restitution for vandalism will be sought.